Skip to main content

Thanksgiving

Tonight I'm ruminating on what it's like to go home after having been away.

It is awesome, but difficult.

I spent so much time with my family, and (for the most part) it was a big lovefest because we miss each other. I was so happy to see them, but so sad to get back on the plane and leave. But at the same time, I'm happy here in Phoenix. It's very weird and complicated for me since I've never been away from home like this before, even for college.

My trip started out with Ryan picking me up from the airport Tuesday night. I got in late and he had to leave early in the morning for Pittsburgh, but we wanted to see each other since he'll be in Pittsburgh when I'm home for Christmas. I told him I love dramatic reunions, so we would need to run towards each other, and then he'd have to pick me up and spin me around. I said this fully expecting him to tease me and call me gay, but he just said, "I don't know, I might just tackle you instead. I really miss you."

So we spent a few hours catching up, and then I slept on his couch. My dad was going to pick me up at 7 a.m., so we had to be up early and I was really grouchy. I complained about how hot his apartment was, and he said he knew I was always cold, so he'd turned up the heat. Oops. Apparently my bad mood was amusing to him because he was doing jazz hands and just being ridiculous in general, enjoying the fact that his cheerfulness was incredibly annoying to me. It was a nice morning.

When my dad picked me up, he said he had errands to run out in Naperville. I said I'd go with, and he seemed surprised, but I was like, what else do I have to do? Going to the hardware store with my dad made me feel like a little kid again. (Well, except there was no monkey.) It was nice.

I spent Wednesday afternoon with my aunt, grandma, and cousin. My grandma came over to my aunt's to supervise the making of the stuffing. It was fun.

Wednesday night was my friends' annual Pre-Thanksgiving dinner party. This was our tenth year doing it! I was tired and didn't want to go, but when I got there I remembered that even though we've all changed so much, we're still like family. Which means that we love each other and also fight like family. But there was minimal drama this year. Except when Sarah was freaking out at her husband because he wouldn't choose her cards in Apples to Apples.

Thanksgiving started out with the typical morning arguing, which I've missed for the past several years by living in the city and just showing up when the rest of the family gets there. Quote of the morning:

Dad (freaking out about the turkey)- "It's 11 the goddamn o'clock already!"
Mom- "Erin, did you bring any Xanax with you?"

I attempted to make cheddar and sage rolls, but it all went wrong when I was ready to put them in the oven and realized I'd forgotten the salt. My mom and I improvised with sea salt, but I don't think that was enough to save them. My brother walked in and said, "What's burning in here?" I should just stay out of the kitchen.

But once everyone arrived, my parents calmed down and we had a great time. We played Apples to Apples late into the evening. Once again I'm reminded how lucky I am to have a family that genuinely enjoys hanging out.

Friday was so low-key and so fun. I'm doing some hand embroidery for baby Carmen, and my mom decided to make it into a quilt. So she quilted and I embroidered and we had a Glee marathon. It was her first time seeing it, and she's totally addicted. There was a party going on that night, and I wasn't even interested because I was having so much fun with my mom.

I had breakfast with my friend and former coworker Nicole on Saturday morning. Her baby has gotten so big, and he has the most adorable little-old-man face! Saturday evening I went downtown for dinner with Whitney and Kelly, then Kelly and I headed out to DC's. It was completely crazy because they were having a big anniversary celebration, but it still felt so good to dance. I know I'm the biggest nerd ever, but I think I'm happiest when I'm dancing to my favorite country music.

After DC's, I had to drive 2 hours back to Naperville. This is for reasons that will be discussed in another post.

It was hard saying goodbye to my parents at the airport today, but much easier knowing I'll see them again in 3 weeks. I'm so glad Christmas is coming soon!

So that was this year's Thanksgiving. Weird, since I no longer live there, but wonderful. Can't wait till Christmas!

Comments

Whitney said…
It sounds like it was a great holiday. :) It was really nice to see you!

Reading what you write about how it feels to come back to Chicago and have it be home, but not to live here anymore, makes me think about what it will feel like if I move away next year...

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…