Skip to main content

Perfect Portland Day

I only meant to go to Powell's, but everything just kind of fell into place for a really perfect day. All of a sudden I was seeing places in real life that I'd only seen on Pinterest!

First stop: Tender Loving Empire, where I purchased this art print for my classroom.


Then I stumbled upon a parking lot of food trucks. Specifically, the grilled cheese truck Paula had told me about. Delicious.

Then, Powell's. Oh, Powell's.


I spent about three hours there. I hung out in the coffee shop for a while reading, and then just wandered. It's overwhelming! Honestly, it's all kind of a blur, but I walked out of there with six new books. The problem is that they have used books for half price, so you're like, oh, that's a really good deal! And they just keep accumulating. Actually, I am proud of how I limited myself. Most of these are books I've been wanting to buy. 

My interests are wide and varied. :)

And how about the fact that I didn't buy any romance novels?

(Confession: I totally wrote down the names of several I'll be getting on my kindle.... That's where I keep all my dirty books.)

Finally, Blue Star donuts. Funny because I'd thought about stopping by Voodoo, but then decided it would be too much of a hassle and their donuts are more like novelty desserts. I mean, they're delicious, I just wasn't in the mood. So I was super excited to try the unique flavors at Blue Star.


I couldn't bring myself to try the blackberry compote with peanut butter powder. I tried a hard apple cider fritter (bottom right) and a Meyer lemon/key lime curd. 

Oh my delicious word. 

I was so happy to be in a city again. Phoenix doesn't count; it feels like a giant suburb. They're trying, they really are. But I think I'm a city girl at heart, and it felt so good to be in Portland today. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…