Skip to main content

Seattle

I am so lucky to have friends all over the place.

Dan is one of Jason's best friends. I met both of them that day in Waterslides about three years ago, and I knew instantly he was someone I'd want as a friend. Unfortunately, he and his wife, Celeste, moved to Seattle just before I moved back to Phoenix. Actually, I guess this is not unfortunate because it gave me a great place to stay and fun people to hang out with here!

Dan and I did Change Creek, my first Pacific Northwest canyon. It was pretty and pleasant with no major obstacles or challenges. Except the rope. I carried rope, and I really need to find a way to dial that in because my rope bag is so uncomfortable. Since the rope was wet, it was even heavier, and it was like that bag was trying to drag me to the ground. It actually succeeded a few times! I have so many bruises from falling down. Luckily, there wasn't much walking in the actual canyon. It was just one rappel after another, so I just kept throwing my bag over cliffs. 

(Canyon photos by Dan)

It was so fun to hang out with Dan, who was just as wonderful as I remembered. If he decides to have kids, he'll be a great dad- patient, a good listener, and a good teacher. I always worry that whoever I'm with is annoyed by how slow I am, or feel like they have to babysit me. But when we got home and Celeste asked about the canyon, Dan commented that it was relaxing because he didn't have to explain everything to me; I knew what I was doing, so we could both just enjoy the canyon. This compliment meant the world to me!


The next day, Celeste and I set out on a mission to San Juan Island to get a stamp for my passport book. We had to take a ferry. Can I just pause for a moment and comment how much I love the ferries here? They are part of the public transportation. I took three in the four days I was here! Even my GPS knew that the ferries were the best way to get places: 


Anyway, Celeste and I took the ferry and left our cars behind, thinking that everything would be located near Friday Harbor. Also, it was like, $50 to bring a car on that ferry. 

We began with lunch at the Cask and Schooner, which had me giggling as I remembered that episode of Sex and the City with Schooner and Rebecca. 

And then we realized that the national park was 6 miles away. We explored our options and finally texted a cab company:


After exploring the national park briefly (did you know that the U.S. and England almost went to war over the killing of a pig on San Juan Island?), the cab driver took us back to town and charged us $38 for a 20 minute (round trip) cab ride. I reminded him of what he'd texted me, and he said he must have misunderstood my text and wouldn't back down on the fare. 

Altogether, I spend about $80 on transportation yesterday to get that stupid stamp for my passport book. I am such a stamp whore. I have to go home when I run out of money, and that may be sooner than later. 

The rest of the afternoon was nice. Celeste and I wandered through the shops, had drinks, and just enjoyed the island. I always love exploring new places, and Celeste is fun to talk to. I also really appreciate her patience with the hassle of getting to the national park!

(This is what most of the views on the island looked like.)

(Friday Harbor)

I think my favorite part of the whole day was the ferry ride. :)

Today I ventured into downtown Seattle to get a stamp at Klondike Gold Rush NHP. I learned that John Nordstrom read about it in the paper on a Sunday morning and left by 4:00 that afternoon to go find some gold. 

I took the ferry from downtown Seattle to Bremerton and was treated to this view as we left.
See why I love the ferry?? 

Tonight I am deep in the forest on the Olympic Peninsula. I am so, so excited to be here. I just started rereading Twilight to get myself in the proper mindset for this place. You know, it's true that there are tons of things wrong with this book, but I. Don't. Care. It makes me happy. It speaks to the insecure teenage girl in me who wishes the popular guy would notice her. The things Edward says and does still make my heart go pitter patter. Well, except when Bella finds out he's watching her sleep every night. That is majorly creepy.

One final thought- I am staying at a campsite that is surrounded by old, enormous trees. This is what I see when I look up:


I have a tattoo idea that involves mountains and trees and a quote from my favorite poem, and I think these are the kind of trees I'd want. And I'd do it in black because when I roll over and look outside in the middle of the night, that's what I see- black silhouettes of trees in the moonlight.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love reading about your wonderlust. Keep the blog coming. Great pictures. Deborah ( I can't figure out which drop down choice to use, so it's anonymous)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…