Skip to main content

Durango

Tonight I am sunburned, bug-bitten, sore, dirty, and exhausted. And I know this sounds crazy, but it is the first day this trip has felt authentic. I don't know how else to explain it. Maybe it's because I'm on night 3 of camping, and I did a lot of hotels/staying with friends earlier in the trip. Either way, I'm feeling really good about things tonight.

I left Mesa Verde this morning and came to Durango. My first stop was Doughworks for some awesome homemade doughnuts. Then I headed up into San Juan National Forest on a gravel road I read about in one of my new guidebooks. It was a beautiful drive, but I wanted to hike! I met these three guys on dirt bikes at the top of the mountain, and they told me where to find the Colorado Trail. "Have fun vagabonding!" they yelled as I pulled away.

I had no map and no water and was not properly dressed for hiking. I figured I'd climb for about 30 minutes and then head down. But I have this problem, almost an illness, where I have to see what's around the next corner. And I wanted to get to the top of whatever I was climbing. I hiked and hiked, and my legs were Jello within 30 minutes. Then I came to a talus slope, and I knew I should turn around. I was shaky and couldn't catch my breath. (I think it was the elevation.) And if you fall down that slope, you are f-ed. But I was SO close to the top; I had to keep going. And I made it up to the saddle between two peaks, but was disappointed to see there was just a meadow on the other side. It was very windy and cold, and even after resting, I still couldn't catch my breath. I could barely sing "The Sound of Music," and twirling was out of the question. And then I realized one more reason I'm a moron- sometimes going down is harder than coming up. I slipped a few times and had some scary moments. But I made it back to my car safely and am so glad I went as far as I did! (My hike was only a little over 5 miles round trip. I was embarrassed when I realized that.)

A difficult hike is the perfect excuse to eat carbs, so my next stop was Homeslice for some pizza. As I was eating and reading my book, a guy came up to me (and not some creeper) and said, "Excuse me, I'm not trying to hit on you, I just have to tell you- you are absolutely, stunningly gorgeous." And hopped on his bike and rode away.

No makeup, hair not straightened, dirty, and probably smelly. This guy made my day.

Tonight I am camping in San Juan National Forest. I am frustrated because I'm having trouble getting True Blood to play on my phone! I'm hardly on FB and have been terrible about returning emails and texts, but True Blood is the one thing I can't let go of...









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…