Skip to main content

Rivers

Bernie called me uptight.

A. He was drinking

B. He was very apologetic

C. Compared to him, I am. It's true.

It was this comment that compelled me to get naked in the Mancos River. And I realized he was right- being naked outside is very fun and freeing. And so this has become my new goal of this trip- as much nudity as possible. Not in a sordid way, more in a natural way. Kind of goes along with me not straightening my hair or wearing makeup or even my hoop earrings.

The other day I saw one more national monument- El Morro. It's a permanent water source, and the rock around it has inscriptions from the 1600's. My favorite was a girl from a group traveling west in the 1850's- Miss A.F. Bailey. A.F. stands for America Francis.

I grabbed lunch at this tamale place in Gallup that had the best homemade chips I have ever tasted. The owner was really nice and invited me back to do tequila shots with him.

I headed for Flagstaff, where I'd be meeting Kristin for some much-needed girl time. She told me to meet her off this forest road. I got there and waited in the dark, trying to nap. And then I heard screaming. And a guy yelling and cursing and saying things like, "Get back here, bitch!"

"Oh dear God, I'm witnessing a murder, " I thought, and peeled out of there. I pulled into a turnoff down the road and texted Bernie. "Do I call 911?"

"YES!!!" was his response. So I did.

When Kristin arrived, we chose another camping spot and stayed up till 2 am drinking margaritas. The next day, we went to Oak Creek Canyon, which is between Sedona and Flagstaff. I told her about my mission, so we found a nice secluded spot and got naked in Oak Creek.

After lunch in Sedona, Kristin and I parted ways. I camped in Flag again that night, then spent the next day driving to King's Canyon.

Today, I successfully skinny dipped in Sheep Creek and the King River. I even spent a while relaxing and sunbathing topless by the King River. This trip is much more lazy than last year. My daily agenda is:

1. Go to a river.

2. Get naked.

3. Read a book.

I'm reading this book Kristin lent me called "Wild," and I don't want to put it down. It's about a woman who hikes the Pacific Crest Trail solo, and I have a lot in common with this lady. A lot. Now I see why Kristin was so pushy about me reading it!

My swimming spot:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…