Skip to main content

Silverton

This morning I set off for Silverton, CO, armed with my new Backcountry Adventures book, ready to explore some ghost towns.

My book has scenic drives on unpaved roads that are rated in difficulty from 1-10. Bernie has this book and has done many of the drives and recommended that I not try anything above a 3. Anything higher than that is meant for 4WD- Jeeps and hardcore trucks.

I started off on the easy road to Animas Forks, the ghost town. I intended to take some of the side trips. There were two that started at the same point- one that was rated a 5, the other a 3.

Well, I accidentally ended up on the 5, and it took me a while to realize it. I thought parts of it seemed pretty tricky, but had no other experience to compare it to. Then, the switchbacks started. And they were so tight, I could barely get around them. Finally, I hit one that was just too hard and knew I needed to go back. Turning around was terrifying. I was on the edge of this talus slope, and I had to keep getting out to see what I was doing. My car was not made to maneuver in such a tight, steep spot. I texted Bernie for reassurance, and he immediately called and gave me this comforting advice: "Take off your seatbelt, open the door a little, and if you start to go over the edge, jump."

He wasn't joking.

I still feel nauseous just thinking about it.

But I made it, and was proud of myself, and felt confident enough to keep exploring. I figured if that was a 5, it was only a little too difficult; I could probably handle a 4. This was the perfect plan, because I could do a loop through California Gulch and Lake Como trail back to Silverton.

Bernie was less than pleased. He has done this loop and was not convinced my Subaru could make it. "You don't understand," he argued. "These are trails for 4WD vehicles, like Jeeps and ATV's."

"Whatever, I'll call you when I'm done," I replied.

He was right. That was pretty much all I saw, and it was funny to have my little Subaru out there with all the badass Jeeps. But my car totally kicked ass. There were only a few nerve-wracking spots where I had to take a break because my palms were sweaty and I was shaking and thought I may throw up. It is a terrible feeling to accelerate when you're going up a steep, rocky slope and feel your car just decide to not go anywhere. Because going backwards means going off a cliff. After that particular spot, I almost turned around, but I could see the summit, and I knew Lake Como was just past that. So I pushed on, and jumped out of my car at the summit and spun around, screaming with joy. The view was unbelievable.

And then I was looking down on the sparkling, aquamarine Lake Como. (The pictures don't do it justice; it got cloudy right when I took out my camera.) Bernie wanted me to camp here like he had, but it was freezing. I took off gleefully down the mountain, laughing as I passed a Jeep that was inching along. "How does it feel to be passed by someone from Illinois, suckers?" I yelled as I drove by. (Don't worry, my windows were up.)

I celebrated my adventure with a slice of pizza from Homeslice in Durango. Now I am camping in La Plata Canyon, where I am hoping to hike tomorrow. My dad just texted to tell me the Hawks won... Wish I was in Chicago right now!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…