Skip to main content

Indian Ruins

I visited three national monuments today, all of which were Indian ruins.

My first stop was the elusive Yucca House NM. When I asked about it at Mesa Verde, the ranger was vague about what was there and wasn't sure exactly where it was located. The website said this spot is "not for the casual visitor." But that just made it more interesting to me.

It's surrounded by private property, so you park next to someone's barn. Their dogs were barking at me as I passed through two rickety gates and carefully signed my name in the visitor register that was sharing a box with a hornet's nest. I followed a faint path through the desert to... nothing. There really was nothing to see there, as far as I could tell. From what I read on the website, it sounds like there are a few big mounds waiting to be excavated. Archaeologists know there's going to be tons of good stuff in there, but they just haven't gotten around to it in the past 94 years since it became a national monument. I was hoping there'd be a display or something, but no, just mounds and desert. The first three pictures below are Yucca House.

My next stop was Hovenweep NM. My favorite part about this one was the architecture of the ruins and the fact that they were built into a canyon. It's not far from some of my favorite canyons; walking the slickrock trail made me want to forget about California and just go run canyons. I especially enjoyed seeing the castle. Another great thing about this spot is that it's so remote... When you stop and listen, it's just absolute silence. It had a very different feel than the busy-ness of Mesa Verde.

My last stop was Aztec NM. I am so glad I went here! I think it's been my favorite ruins so far. It's this huge complex, and you get to walk through the rooms. The self-guided tour was so interesting; it was a blend of archaeological facts and the Puebloan emergence story. The best part was the reconstructed kiva. It was built on the original one and made to look the way they think it did back in the 1100's. I was all alone, and it definitely felt like sacred ground. SO cool. The last picture below is an open kiva and part of the complex.

Tonight I'm in Farmington, NM. Feeling guilty for splurging on a room at Motel 6, but it's too hot to camp here.

(Okay, the blogger app is being a pain... The first picture is Aztec ruins, the second one is the Stronghold at Hovenweep, and the last three are from Yucca House.)









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…