Skip to main content

Mancos

I am in full on hippie mode.

I had a lazy day today. First, I discovered a waterfall down the road from last night's campsite and hiked down to it.

Next, I had breakfast at the Absolute Bakery in Mancas, which was out of control awesome.

Then, I did a scenic drive from my backcountry book that was rated a 1. I saw a sign for Box Canyon trail and thought that sounded cool, so I hiked a mile down into the canyon wearing jeans and flip flops and no bra. I went skinny dipping in the Mancos River and wished I had my soap with me so it could have been a bath... I am a dirty hippie. I think I may steal a shower at the Mesa Verde campground tomorrow. Their showers are free.

Anyway, it was fun to just be totally naked in the woods and flaunt my pale, imperfect body in the sunlight. And the timing worked out perfectly, because about 5 minutes after I got dressed, I passed two other hikers and their dog.

After my drive, I was tired and had a headache, so I found this campground near Mancas, where I had a long discussion with the campground host. He was telling me about how he specifically prayed for a wife who loves Christmas, and then he met this woman with the biggest Santa collection he'd ever seen, and he felt this whisper in his heart, "Isn't this what you wanted?" How funny. I just love hearing people's stories.

And then I relaxed and watched True Blood on my phone and finished a really bad romance novel and ate peanut butter crackers and chatted with Kestelle and texted with Bernie and now I'm going to bed. It was a nice, chill day.

Oh, other evidence of me being a hippie? This tacky thing hanging from my rearview mirror. Bernie stole it for me from this abandoned house on an Indian reservation.

Also, there were multiple times today when I forgot where I was. I had to tell myself, "You are in Colorado." Maybe it's weird, but I enjoy that feeling. Kind of like when I forgot my address on last year's trip.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…