Skip to main content

The Badlands and Devil's Tower

This morning I woke up with one thing on my mind- a donut from Wall Drug. Kristin may be right... I must be a foodie, because all I remember about my trip to Wall Drug as a 10 year-old is the really great donut I had there. My memory proved to be accurate; they have freshly made donuts that are pretty good. A little greasy, but much better then Dunkin.

I set out to find Minuteman Missile NHS, which was not an easy task. It was not well marked and is basically just a trailer next to a gas station. You can drive out and see a missile, but I skipped that. Despite its humble headquarters, I learned something new about our nation's history. I had no idea we had a huge arsenal of missiles hidden in the hills of South Dakota. The idea was that, if Russia attacked, we could launch those suckers up over the North Pole and take out Moscow in less than 30 minutes.

This site is right next to the Badlands. I had planned on hiking and camping there, but when I arrived, it was extremely windy. Like, the-wind-could-blow-you-over windy. And there's only one long hiking trail; the park is meant to be driven through, and you stop at viewpoints once in a while. So that's what I did. It reminded me of Little Egypt, although Little Egypt is more fun. The hoodoos are better for climbing, and there are no trails or people. Also, if you're at Little Egypt, chances are you're there with Jason, and he will challenge you to a game of Pig.

I wasn't sure what to do after the Badlands. I have a dilemma I didn't anticipate- it is cold. Very cold. I can't camp if the lows are in the 30's. I realized I needed to get to warmer temps ASAP. I decided to head across Wyoming, then go south and intersect with the route I originally planned. I'd do one night in a hotel, then camp as much as possible.

You can't drive across Wyoming without stopping at Devil's Tower, so I did. It was just as cool as I remembered. I love how it looks like it's dripping down the sides, and I wanted to see what it looked like up close, so I started climbing. You need a permit for anything past the boulder field, but I just kept looking for my next hand/foothold and couldn't stop. So technically, this was my first time poaching.

I was pleased with how far up I made it. In one of the pics below, you can see how close I was to the top. According to a ranger, the easiest route is a 5.7 and it only takes about 4-6 hours to get to the top. I really want to see what's up there! But sadly, I wasn't with a climber, so I made this little video, then turned back.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=rBqXyTvj_34&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DrBqXyTvj_34%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player

I'm spending the night in Gillette, WY tonight and driving through Yellowstone tomorrow.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…