Skip to main content

Geyser Valley

I learned all about the Elwha River in the documentary DamNation, so I was really looking forward to seeing it in real life. They left part of the dam standing, and you could stand there high above the river and see where they'd blown up the dam so the salmon could swim through and the river could flow freely. 
 
 

My hike for the day was Geyser Valley. It started out mostly flat, then dropped 500 feet in half a mile. Once I was down by the river, I hiked downstream a little to see Goblin's Gates, which I'd seen on Pinterest and added to my list of things to do. It was hard to get a good picture, and I'd love to see it from a better perspective. Goblins are purported to live here, and I found myself wondering about how to lure a goblin out of hiding. Or where they even live.

 

 
I headed upstream, flying along the flat easy trail until I tripped over a branch and went flying. It was probably a pretty funny sight. There was this moment where I was in the air where I knew this was not going to end well. I hit the ground so hard my sunglasses flew off my face. My left knee hurt pretty bad, so instead of doing the whole 7.8 miles, I cut the hike short and did 5.5. So annoying! I do not have time for injuries. 

I had reservations to camp near Port Townsend, which was far out of my way but had already been paid for and I really wanted that shower. I am so glad that I drove out there, because I met Jace, a musician who is riding his bike from Bellingham to San Francisco. This was on his bucket list, along with the mohawk mullet haircut he was sporting. He called his vape pen a "douche flute" and told me about the girl he has a "soul crush" on and how he finally kissed her the night before he left. He said, "I don't know why I'm telling you all this stuff!" and then we continued our conversation about hope and possibility and being your very best self. After several hours, we ended things with a long hug and told each other how wonderful we thought the other person was. I have met two really amazing people so far on this trip, and I hope this continues. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…