Skip to main content

The Perfect Break Up Song

I'm a big fan of music helping you through breakups. Kris and I ended things a few weeks before I left, and it's been hard. I'm still just really sad about the whole thing. I miss him. But you can't make someone love you. There are all these thoughts of, "I should have been sweeter," "I should have tried harder to lose weight," "I should have been more fun/interesting." My wise cousin Beth said that, in Buddhism, this is called the second arrow. The first "arrow" came from Kris, when I suggested that we should break up and he agreed with me. (Not what I wanted to hear!!) But then I kept throwing all these other arrows at myself and making up this narrative about all my shortcomings. Why do we do this to ourselves?? Apparently it's pretty common if Buddha wrote about it. Rather than just dealing with the emotions from the one hurtful thing that happened, we pile on a ton of other hurts. 

Anyway, that was way off topic and the point of this post is music. I've been spending a lot of time in the car, so I've been trying to find the right music to help me process my feelings. 

"Lemonade" doesn't work because he didn't cheat on me. Miranda Lambert doesn't work because I don't want revenge, I haven't given up on love, and I didn't have a nervous breakdown. Most break up songs are angry, and I have zero anger. I don't have a single bad thing to say about Kris. It would almost be easier if he'd been a complete asshole, because that would make it easier to move on.

I heard the song "Take it All Back" by Judah and the Lion yesterday, and that gave me all the feels. I think I finally found my break up song. (The string quartet version, by the way. Not the radio version.) 

The first time I heard it, I missed the line about the guy being with his girl, so I guess it doesn't technically apply. But I don't care, I'm still making it mine. 

The song talks about how my life is really great and I'm on my way to all my dreams coming true. And that's the thing- my life is pretty great. I'm happy and I love where things are headed. My happiness did not depend on Kris; he just made everything better. 

The song says over and over, "I'd take it all back just to have you." And that's something I was thinking about last week, before I'd even heard the song. I had decided this would be my last summer of vagabonding. I wouldn't have wanted to leave him all summer again. I wasn't even looking forward to it this summer! So next summer would have just been a few short trips, and the next summer would have been the wedding, and the summer after that we'd be trying for babies. So the sentiment in this song about giving up all these great things just to be with someone is something I can relate to. 

I think I also love this song because it has a banjo and a mandolin. :)

All of my reflecting has also led me to think that both of us are super cautious because we've been in relationships where we tried too hard to make things work when it just wasn't a good relationship. We had eight months of coasting along and just having fun, but then we got to an issue that needed work and rather than doing that work, we decided we shouldn't be together. Sometimes, I think we gave up too easily. 

I have a lot more complicated feelings that I probably shouldn't post on the internet, but this is just what I was thinking about today while hiking the Dungeness Spit. 
 
(The little white spot on the right is Mt. Rainier.) 

 

 
I saw this ship and wondered where it was coming from and where it was going and what it was carrying.

It was beautiful and relaxing and then I had dinner at IHOP and then got back to my campsite and discovered that my camp chair has been stolen. What is the universe trying to tell me???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…