Skip to main content

Mom and Dad in SLC

Today we went to church. When Mom arrived in front of Pastor Steve to take communion, he burst out laughing. "Is this your mother?" he barely managed to get out. 

"What did you tell him about me?" she whispered as soon as we sat down. 

"Nothing bad, I promise!"

When we all chatted after the service, the mystery was solved- he'd seen the video of her at the mud volcano on Facebook. Mom is famous.

I couldn't wait to show everyone my favorite restaurant here, Hub and Spoke. So disappointing! Terrible service (we waited for-ev-er to even place our order), and then the food was not even good! 

We went for a hike around Silver Lake, and Dad was really not feeling it. He was in a rush and couldn't understand why Mom and Dave kept stopping to look at stuff. "It's just a bunch of dirt and rocks," he grumbled.

 
  

We made it 3/4 of the way around the lake when we started to encounter a lot of snow on the trail. Mom is not steady on her feet. Dad slipped and fell (which seriously pissed him off). So, they turned around and hiked back the other way rather than go through the rest of the snow. I used this alone time to call Paula and say, "Aaaahhhhh!!! 😖"

Then we walked along the beginning of the Lake Blanche trail to some little waterfalls/cascades along the creek. Dave got dangerously close to the water, and I had to yell at him. "It's not like I'm going to fall in!" he complained. And then I had to lecture him about the six people who have drowned so far this spring. I bet they said the same thing!

 

  

Today, Mom wore her Stranger Things shirt I got her for Christmas. 

 

She insisted on having her picture taken by these outhouses.

 

And, at Mellow Mushroom, she found the perfect hat.

 

We watched the Cubs win, and I made some comment to my dad about Addison Russell being a good outfielder, and he looked at me like I was an idiot and said that Russell is a shortstop, and I didn't want to tell him that I don't actually know anything about that position, including where he stands. 

We also laughed and laughed at this article about a man who continued to mow the lawn despite a tornado raging behind him. He told his wife he was "keeping an eye on it." I feel like this is a story about every dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…