Skip to main content

The Perfect Weekend- City and Country

This weekend was pretty wonderful.

After a week of not sleeping well, I'd had enough.  After work on Friday, I took off for Bong Recreation Area, near Kenosha.  Just a little over an hour from the city.  It seemed to be the closest place to camp.

I got there close to dark, so there wasn't much to do.  I sat outside and read my Kindle, then went to bed early.

Now, I will be honest- I didn't sleep as well as I'd hoped.  My bed at home is pretty comfortable, and so was my bed at Rachel's.  I woke up several times during the night, just like I have been at home.  But here's the difference- I always knew where I was.  I laid there listening to the crickets, looking at the stars and trees, smelling fresh cut grass and forest, and was so happy.

Another thing I like about camping is that I get up relatively early.  So I was up at 7 that morning and went for a run on a trail that I had completely to myself.  (That's one of the great things about camping- you get to the trail before everyone else.)

I was back to the city by 10 a.m., having mimosas and a delicious brunch at Lula Cafe.  (Oh my goodness, the griddle cakes with blackberries, peaches, and sage custard... heaven.)  After brunch, a few of us did some shopping at Psycho Baby in Bucktown followed by Italian ices at Miko's.  It was the perfect day to be walking around the city.  Last night, I went to a block party at Jen's, where we talked about politics and religion and all the other stuff we have in common.  I love that girl.

Unfortunately, I had another bad sleep night last night.  One of the worst yet- I was sleepwalking!  That has never happened before!  I woke up standing in front of my window and, as usual, had no idea where I was.  This shit has to stop.  I don't have time for this nonsense.  I can't afford to be camping every weekend.

But today was another good day.  Went to church this morning, caught glimpses of the Air and Water Show as I walked around the city, tried iCream (really really good ice cream), went for a run, and now it's time for True Blood.  Back to work tomorrow. Life is good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…