Skip to main content

Utah Adventure: Spooky and Peekaboo

Monday morning, we hiked out to see something called the Volcano, or as locals call it, the Cosmic Ashtray.  There was a lot of soft sand, and after a few miles of hiking, we realized that it was actually a lot further away than we thought.  We were all just kind of over it at that point, so this is as close as we got:



We did still manage to have fun, though.  Jason explained moqui balls to us, and moqui skeeball was invented.  These round little rocks of iron are lying around everywhere in Escalante.

That afternoon, we hiked through two non technical canyons that I was really excited to see: Spooky and Peek-a-Boo.  Jason definitely had a too-cool-for-school attitude about them, but I thought they were gorgeous and enjoyed the easier hike.  I also fulfilled my dream of canyoneering in a skirt.  Sadly, I don’t think this is something I’ll do very often.  Even though it was a heavy duty dress from REI that was made for outdoorsy stuff, it was no match for the sandstone walls.  Also, wearing Spanx on a hike when it’s like, 95 degrees out was no fun.  It’s funny, because if you look at what I’m wearing by the end of the trip, my clothes don’t match, I have no makeup on, and my hair isn’t done.  I finally stopped caring.





Anyway, Jason and Kristin ended up having a lot of fun in these canyons because Jason decided we should play “Floor is Lava” and try not to touch the ground.  I played a little, but not as much as Jason and Kristin.  But Jason was right- it was good practice for some of the canyons later in the trip.  The other fun thing was that Jason played the 127 Hours soundtrack as we were hiking through the canyon, so that definitely added to the fun time.






I thought these canyons were really beautiful.  Spooky definitely felt a little claustrophobic.  I asked Kristin to stay where I could see her, which is a request I had never made before.


(Squeezing through the walls in Spooky)



Peekaboo had a beautiful set of arches.



I love that there are canyons out there that are so easy to explore, that even people with non technical skills (like me) can experience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…