Skip to main content

Utah Adventures: Lower Baptist Draw

This was the first canyon of our trip, located in the San Rafael Swell.



This day kicked my butt.  I was SO out of practice in terms hiking and downclimbing.  Good thing I have patient friends.




The canyon was absolutely gorgeous.  Lots of beautiful hallways varying in color and composition.  This is why canyoneering is addictive; you never know what's around the next corner.








Unfortunately, a scare was waiting for me around one of the corners.  At one point, Jason and Kristin got pretty far ahead of me.  I was walking peacefully through the canyon, thinking about how amazing this place was and how happy I was to be here, when Kristin jumped out at me from behind a rock.  I threw my hands in the air and SCREAMED, earning me a role in the horror movie Jason wants to film about a canyon monster.



Our route took us through Lower Baptist Draw to Upper Chute canyon.  At the bottom of the last rap in Lower Baptist, we discovered rocks that were perfect for lounging.  We decided to wait out the midday heat and watch 127 Hours.  (We planned on doing Blue John the next day.)  It was the perfect break.



Little did we know how much hiking we still had.  Or maybe Jason knew, but I didn't.  There were a few miles of soft sand, and I was pretty much spent before we'd even reached the exit.  Since it was my first day out and I hadn't been in the desert for a while, I forgot how to listen to my body and know when I'm dehydrated or when my blood sugar's low.

We hiked up a tall mesa, and I seriously thought I was going to die.  Jason reached the top first and yelled, "I see the cars!"

"Oh, thank you, Jesus," I thought.  When I finally stumbled to the top, I saw the cars, too.  On the next mesa.  We still had to go down a steep scree slope into a valley and back up a mesa the size of North Mountain.


(Struggling up the hill... notice Kristin is behind me in case I collapse)

Kristin aptly labeled this pic "The hills that tried to kill Erin B."


 By the time I made it to the top, it was almost dark and I was in bad shape.  Kristin and Jason wisely decided that we should camp right there and that tomorrow should be an easy day.  I didn't argue.

*All photos courtesy of Jason Marshall (www.inthecanyons.com)

Comments

Kristin said…
You were still a trooper this day, and although it was tough, I'm sure you look back and are glad you did it. The hills did also try to kill you, but you showed them.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…