Skip to main content

Home

After 8 weeks of traveling, I am home.  It felt weird walking into my apartment last night; everything seemed new.

I was restless today.  For two months, almost every day has been about getting up and hiking or adventuring.  I didn't know what to do with myself today.  I dusted, scrubbed the bathtub, did laundry, went shopping, went for a run, finished watching Love in the Wild, unpacked, did some decorating, made Jason's birthday gift, and worked on things for my classroom.  I couldn't sit still.

I definitely have mixed feelings about being home.

I miss quiet.  I forgot how loud my street is, especially since I live next to a hospital.  Maybe that's why I stop so often and marvel at how quiet the canyons are.  I could barely sleep last night.

I miss the moon and stars.  One of my favorite things about camping was waking up in the middle of the night and looking at the stars.  Even at Rachel's, my bed was next to the window, so I slept with the blinds open and watched the moon track across the sky.

I miss people.  This weekend, Kristin was backpacking to Havasupai Falls and Jason was doing another Christopher Creek run.  I could have been doing those things if I was still there.  (Although, let's be honest, I don't know if I'll ever be a backpacker.)  I miss coming home to Rachel and Mico and telling them about my day and hearing about theirs, and Carmen running over for hugs or wanting to hear a story.  I missed going to church at Trinity this morning.  I got to go twice while I was there.  (Who goes to church on vacation???  That tells you how special that church is.)  I miss Amanda and Jenna and my small group ladies.

But as I was merging from 55 onto 90/94 last night, I caught the fireworks show at Navy Pier.  It was a beautiful way to come back to the city.  I was so happy to be back that I didn't even mind the traffic on 90/94 and on Division, where I had to dodge a million cabs and drunk people.

I was happy to see my apartment.  The first thing I noticed is that it looks so bare, so today I came up with some decorating ideas.

I was happy with the beautiful weather.

I was happy to get a text from Nina first thing this morning inviting me for mimosas.

I'm happy about plans I have in the next few weeks- Princess Bride in Grant Park, rock climbing with Liz and Anne, hanging out with my small group (who sent me plenty of love while I was gone), decorating my classroom with all the ideas I've been saving on Pinterest...

I have a good life here.

And I had a good life in Phoenix.  Jenna and I were laughing about how I shouldn't have broadened my horizons, but sometimes I think it would have been easier.  Easier, but not better.  I'm so thankful for my life in each place.  As Jenna was trying to convince me to take a job in Phoenix, she commented on my first world problem- I love and am loved by too many people.  When you put it that way, things really don't seem so bad.

Comments

Kristin said…
I feel the same way about the outdoors. Every time I leave the woods, desert, etc I feel like I leave a part of me. Funny while at work staring out the windows (since I have a full 360 degree view sometimes) I look at the mountains and know I'll be back there soon. I can also drive 40 minutes and be in the wilderness, so my escape is MUCH closer than yours. What's funny, for years I made fun of small towns and the middle of nowhere, and I think deep down I knew that I still liked it.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…