Skip to main content

Last Night in Phoenix

I'm  really behind on blogging.  I still have two more canyons to blog about, and I didn't write about my time in Phoenix at all.

There were two nights that tie for best night in Phoenix.  One of them is not appropriate for public viewing, but involves shenanigans with Rachel and Jenna.  The other great night was my last night in town, which I spent at a Scottsdale bar with Kristin and Jason.

I was nervous when I arrived.  Kristin wouldn't be there for a while, but Jason was hanging out there with a bunch of friends.  Jason and I have a weird friendship because almost all of our time together is spent in canyons and camping.  The three of us know each other intimately, because that's what happens when you spend that type of time with people.  I don't know how to describe it, but the person I am in the canyons is slightly different than the person you'd see out at the bars.  It's complicated and difficult to explain, but this was only the second time I'd hung out with Jason outside of our trip.  And I'm quiet and awkward in large groups of people I don't know, so it was possible I'd just end up sitting in a corner until Kristin arrived.

But as soon as I walked in, Jason introduced me to his friends.  "This," he said, "is a bad-ass canyoneer."  And my heart melted a little, because in my circle of friends, bad-ass is the ultimate compliment.  Especially from a true bad-ass like Jason.  He went on to tell them about my 45 foot downclimb in Hog, and about a time (which I don't remember) when Kristin pointed out that I was bleeding and I told her, "I ain't got time to bleed."  I was beyond flattered that he'd say those things about me.

His friends were super nice, and time flew by.  Eventually Kristin showed up with a gift bag for me.  Inside was one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever been given.  Without taking anything out of the bag, I squealed, "This is the best gift EVER!!!"

"What is it, a vibrator?" Jason yelled from the other end of the bar.  I gave him my meanest teacher look.

"No, CUPCAKES," I replied.

"Yeah, that would've been my next guess," he said.

Inside the bag was a cupcake and an oatmeal cream pie from a bakery, an Arizona magnet for my fridge, and a yoga bracelet that's kind of like a rosary that's supposed to help with anxiety; you count the beads.  I've been wearing the bracelet every day.  Kristin is practically my life coach; she helps a lot with my anxiety.

We had a blast at the bar.  Jason was a social butterfly (he actually flapped his wings as he moved from group to group), but the three of us still did a lot of reminiscing.  Jason confessed that he often had to go to his Zen place during the long car rides, when Kristin and I chattered non-stop in the front seat about every detail of our love lives.

Finally, it was time to go.  Kristin and I were not happy to say goodbye to each other.  I love and miss this girl so much.  We hugged it out in the parking lot and, while doing this, noticed that my head is the perfect height to rest on her bosom.  When Jason saw our position, he yelled that I should motorboat her.  And you know, I'd had just enough to drink that I went along with his suggestion.  Except it wasn't the best motorboat, because I started laughing really hard while I was trying to do it.  But Kristin and I have decided this will be our greeting from now on.  So, when I jump out of the car to reunite with them at Freeze Fest, I'll motorboat Kristin, then turn to Jason and say, "You son of a bitch" in unison and arm wrestle him.  Then he'll say, "What's the matter, CIA got you pushing too many pencils?"  I'm sure it will be quite the spectacle for anyone watching.

Jason and I then went back to his place to hang out for a bit.  I tried to get him to dish about his love life, but as usual, he was tight-lipped.  However, he did say, "I don't know... I just don't think love is in the cards for me."  And this made me so sad, because it sounded so hopeless.  And I really hate when people feel hopeless.  So, on the 26 hour drive home, I thought of a birthday gift for Jason.  (His birthday is this week.)  I got him a deck of cards, and slipped this card in the middle of it.  Then I wrote a card with an explanation and encouraging (I hope) note.  I hope he likes it!



So that was my last night in town... The perfect night with two people I love.  It is always especially hard to say goodbye to Kristin, but we're pretty much in a long distance relationship, so we talk all the time.  And I at least I know I'll see them again soon.  Can't wait for Freeze Fest!!!

Comments

Kristin said…
Maybe I really need to look into becoming a life coach for people. I have coached a few people over the years and I just like bringing people back to earth and getting them outside their heads. People are sooo hard on themselves, and of course forget about themselves at the same time. I'm glad that I could help you in some small way.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…