Skip to main content

Arriving in Boston

I was excited to get to Boston, but sad because I was saying goodbye to Alex. On our way to Boston (in between stopping at the L.L. Bean outlet and a barber shop in Portland), we discussed the trip. I felt so guilty about being sick, and also for worrying Alex. But really, we didn’t miss out on much due to my illness. (Which, by the way, is still lingering... I still have no singing voice and have been short of breath occasionally. So frustrating!) But we still got to do all the things we wanted to do. I just wasn’t my usual self during all this... I was quieter than usual because I had no voice, and I didn’t laugh much because if I laughed I couldn’t breathe and started coughing. How sad is that?? 

Anyway, Alex didn’t seem to be irritated at all, just worried. And I tried to be as pleasant as possible even though there were a few evenings where I was feverish and tired and just over it. To be fair, that was toward the beginning when we were staying in the house of horrors on Prince Edward Island, which is not where you want to be when you’re sick. Overall, Alex said we made a good team, and I agreed. I honestly wasn’t tired of him after 11 days of being together almost constantly. Really, the only times we were apart were to sleep, and the morning I went to the ER for a few hours, my trip to Urgent Care, and when he finished that hike on his own. Normally, after being around people a lot, I need some time alone to recharge. But it wasn’t like that with Alex; he’s just comfortable to be with. It helped that we were always in agreement about stuff like what time to get up, how late to stay out, when/where to stop for meals, stuff like that. One thing I had worried about was that he’d want to go out to the bars in every town we went to. I have some friends who do a lot of drinking on vacation, and that’s just not my jam. But Alex and I each only had two beers during the whole trip. 

Alex drove into Boston, which was great because I was feeling a little nervous about being back in a big city. We didn’t have a lot of time before his flight, but he hadn’t been to Salem in years and wanted to stop there, so we did. 






It was really meaningful for me to see the Salem Witch Trials Memorial because my students read a book about it last year, so a lot of these names had significance to me. I knew their stories.








(I snapped this pic of Alex while he was waiting for me to finish taking pictures... it just cracks me up how he looks like a model and yet is the most kind and considerate guy I’ve ever met. Maybe he doesn’t know how good looking he is? Well, I definitely enjoyed the scenery for the past 11 days.)

And then finally, I left Alex at the airport with a big hug and kiss on the cheek and headed to my Air BnB in Lowell, ready to explore a new city. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…