Skip to main content

Great Egg Harbor River

I can’t believe I’m even writing about this one, but I promised myself I was going to do better at documenting each park.

When I looked up the cancellation location for this river, there was one available in Philadelphia. So, I assumed I could visit this park on Friday, along with Independence Hall. Well. Turns out this river does not actually flow through Philadelphia. I spent a while on Google Maps and finally found a park next to the river where I could go take some pictures. Unfortunately, it was 45 minutes out of my way. But whatever, I’ll do what it takes!

I was so surprised to see this.



How on earth was this designated a scenic and recreational river?? Maybe it gets better further downstream.

Then I had to go back into the city to visit Thaddeus Kosciuszko National Memorial. It is the smallest National Park unit! He was a Polish guy who was apparently very valuable to the American Revolution- brilliant strategist. He went back to Poland after the war, led an unsuccessful fight against the Russians, and ended up back in Philadelphia, where he lived in this boarding house and was treated like a hero. The fun thing about this park unit was that everything was in English and Polish. 





I also liked the orientation film, which was super old school.




I got mad at Philadelphia all over again on Saturday because traffic was so awful, but I do have a few nice things to say about the city. I liked the history, and in one neighborhood, I thought it was cool how there were entrances to peoples cellars all along the sidewalk. 



Also, here is a picture of my Air BnB, and I did like that neighborhood, too. 



But I was so glad to get out of there. Especially because my next stop was Frederick, Maryland, where I’d be staying with my friend Allison! I’ve been friends with her since middle school, although we lost touch for a while in our 20’s. She was always brilliant, and now she is the nation’s leading expert on the SARS and MERSA viruses. One of the most interesting people to chat with! And even though we don’t talk that often, when we see each other, it’s just easy and comfortable. We went out for dinner and I had a fancy drink made with whiskey and hibiscus and forgot all about the stress of Philadelphia and got excited for the next day!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…