Skip to main content

Boston and Cape Cod

Surprisingly, I don’t have much to say about the Freedom Trail! I’d been wanting to do it for years, and it was fine. (I sound like my dad.) I love Boston, and it was cool to see all these famous sites, but a lot of them cost money to get into, and we didn’t do a formal tour, so we probably missed out on a lot of info that would have made it more meaningful. 

(I just realized, I should explain that “we” is me and my birthmom and her husband. They drove out from Chicago to meet me.) 

We started out having lunch at the Bell in Hand Tavern, which is super old. 



Then we took the trolley to Boston Common, where the Freedom Trail starts. The trolley driver was telling us all these historic facts about it, but all I could think was, “This is the place where Mrs. Mallard leads her ducklings to in Make Way for Ducklings!” I remember reading that book with my mom when I was very little. 

Here are a few of the sites we saw along the trail:


The old state house. The Boston Massacre happened in front of it. 



(This man was holding a sign that said “Seeking human kindness.” I went over and gave him some money, but I wish I had started a conversation with him. I hate that feeling when you miss an opportunity to do something good. I’m disappointed in myself.)

The Granary Burying Ground was full of interesting graves.


 Victims of the Boston Massacre



Interesting artwork on the tombstones 







Ben Franklin’s parents



People put pennies all over Paul Revere’s grave. Gregg thought it went back to this ancient Greek custom of putting coins on dead people’s eyes to pay their way into the underworld, but I googled it later and it was just because Paul Revere was a silver smith and copper smith. I liked Gregg’s explanation better.



The inside of King’s Chapel was interesting because the pews had people’s names on them and were all blocked off. Growing up, our family always sat in the same pew at church, so I guess some things never change. Old North Church (the one with the lanterns- “One if by land, two if by sea”- looked exactly the same inside. 










(Kathy and I gave my phone to Gregg and asked him to take our picture by the Sam Adams statue. He said, “I took a bunch.” I looked, and NONE of them had the statue in them! We laughed so hard, then made him try again.)







Paul Revere’s house





Funny story... Gregg and I were standing outside this church, admiring it and taking pictures, thinking it was Old North Church. I mean, there was a statue of Paul Revere in front of it! Finally, Kathy comes over and says, “You guys? That’s not Old North Church. It’s over there.” So. Embarrassing. 









The next day, I drove out to Cape Cod National Seashore. It was really stressful! I saw a cute lighthouse, but couln’t find parking so I could stop and look at it. I tried going to two different beaches, and the parking lots were full. Finally, I found a nice, quiet beach. At that point, I didn’t have a lot of time left before I had to meet Kathy and Gregg, but I was still just happy to be at the beach. 



When I got back to my car, I realized why the beach was so quiet... I missed the signs that said “Private Beach.” Oops.

I met up with Kathy and Gregg in Plymouth, where we saw Plymouth Rock (which was nearly impossible to get a picture of because of the shadows) and did some shopping. I got something at an antique store to use for my Thanksgiving centerpiece this year!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…