Skip to main content

Travel Days

Over the next few days, we paid the price for our Newfoundland trip. We had soooo much driving to do. But it was worth it. I honestly don’t think I would have been very impressed with this trip if we hadn’t done Newfoundland. PEI was everything I hoped for (which is still have to blog about), but Nova Scotia wasn’t too exciting (except for seeing that famous guy in concert). 

Step one was taking a 6.5 hour ferry ride back to Nova Scotia on Wednesday. We were so sad to leave Newfoundland. But the ferry was really nice, and it was a relaxing day. Well, until we got back to Nova Scotia and still had to drive a few hours. We stayed in a cheap hotel where I totally passed out and Alex hardly got any sleep. 

Since Alex was tired and had done so much driving while I was sick, I did most of the driving on Thursday. We made one last stop at Sobey’s and Tim Horton’s, then drove across Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and part of Maine. We stopped at St. Croix Island National Historic Site, which was the site of the first permanent French settlement in North America in 1605. (They were on that little island in the river behind me.)





A few hours later, we arrived at Baxter State Park, which is where the Appalachian Trail ends. I felt bad because Alex really wanted to hike Katahdin, but that is an all day hike and we just didn’t have time. We were happy to still get some nice views of it. 





We saw this sign on the way in, and you can see Katahdin behind it.



When it was my turn to be in the picture, there were gnats and mosquitoes all buzzing in my face, so there were some humorous outtakes. 







Thanks, Alex, for capturing those flattering shots. (You know what’s funny? After spending 11 days with him, I know exactly how he’d respond to that comment- with the smirking emoji. Or with our catch phrase for this trip- “Not cute” or “Not a cute look.”)

We spent the night at an Air BnB in Lincoln, Maine, and I woke up the next morning feeling sad that it was the last time I’d hear Alex greet me in the morning. EVERY morning, whether we had slept in the car or a hotel room or an apartment, he exclaimed, “Erin! Good morning!” like he was just so happy to see me. Made me want to hug him and just squeeze him to death for making me feel so good first thing in the morning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…