Skip to main content

Portland

Portland is a cool town! I don’t think I could live here (the traffic in this state makes me crazy), but I sure did enjoy hanging out here to a few days. I needed a “normal” day yesterday, so I got a haircut and a manicure and saw the Mister Rogers documentary. The girl who cut my hair is going through a breakup and she’s been with the guy for four years and feels like her world is ending, and I told her I have been there and promised her it was going to be okay, and just kept telling her that. And maybe it sounds trite, but I shared a little of my story and PROMISED that she would be okay and that this was thee right decision. (She told me some stuff, and yeah, it was definitely the right choice to leave.) And when I left, she said that she felt like the reason I was there today was to give her that message, and that for the first time, she was feeling hopeful. It was one of those profoundly beautiful moments, and I’m still praying for sweet Kayla. 













And Mister Rogers... holy cow, what a revolutionary he was! The very first episode of his show in 1968 was about Vietnam. Later that season came an episode about assassination. It was so interesting to learn about his career and his beliefs and hear these stories about him. Like how he used to tell Francois, the gay black guy on his show, “I love you just the way you are.” And one day Francois said, “I think you really mean that.” And he said, “Francois, I’ve been trying to tell you this for years. I’m glad you finally heard me.” And how he did things that were not considered good television... like the time he set a timer for one minute and just sat there so kids could see how long a minute is! When I was little, I remember feeling like his show went a little too slow, and that my dad said he was a sicko, and I felt like he was talking down to me. I wish I would have listened more. And I do remember that sometimes it just felt calming to watch him. Everything about that set felt so familiar to me, almost like it was a relative’s house. I loved it when he fed the fish. 

Towards the end, they explained why Fred was always trying to make people see their worth and feel loved. Really, he just wanted them to know that they are beloved children of God. That God is using them to make all things new and restore a broken world. And when they brought theology and his faith into it... I don’t know, it got me all choked up. I mean, that’s kind of how I picture Jesus. Just loving everyone he meets, even though it doesn’t make sense. Even though some people are assholes. (And people in this documentary said that some of the kids he dealt with WERE assholes!) Fred Rogers was an amazing example of Christ-like love, while also being subversive and standing up against injustice (like that time he and Francois were both in the pool after there were news stories about black people getting kicked out of white people’s swimming pools). 

And there’s this moment at the end when he asks you to take one whole minute and think about someone you loved very much who’d influenced your life... and then the documentary waited for that full minute, and I thought of my grandma and was feeling REALLY emotional at that point, and I know I wasn’t the only one because there was lots of sniffling in the theater. 

Kind of crazy how this documentary could evoke so many emotions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…