Skip to main content

Philadelphia

Today kind of sucked.

I didn’t sleep well last night because my room was hot. There’s just a window unit that’s pretty ineffective, and everything in this house (even the sheets and towels) smells like stale cigarette smoke. I finally gave up on sleep at 5:30, but instead of getting out the door early, I relaxed and read a book. 

I visited the Edgar Allan Poe house first, and what a disappointment. There was literally nothing to see. The rooms were all empty. They could have had some really cool exhibits on his life, but maybe they just don’t have the funding since this park is free.







I went down in the cellar and tried to creep myself out, but that was hard to do with a ranger doing a tour right above me. 






I took a Lyft down to Independence Hall (well, to the visitor center) and got in the loooooong line. 



After waiting for about 10 minutes, an announcement was made that tickets were sold out for the day. It was only 10:40 a.m. And they won’t let you get tickets for the next day; they just said to come back at 8 a.m. and try again. They kept saying, “There are plenty of other things to see in Philadelphia,” and you could tell everyone wanted to punch them. 

You don’t need tickets to see the Liberty Bell, so I got in line for that next. 







I really didn’t take the time to look at it carefully... I just took a picture and got out. I really don’t function well when I’m sleep-deprived. 😳

At this point, it was 11:00. I could have gone to the Constitution Museum... they had a whole Hamilton exhibit. Or I could have gone to some other places I read about. But instead, I sat on a park bench and drank a Diet Coke and read my book. Around noon, I stopped at a cafe for a salad that was probably the best part of my day, then headed home. It was 90 degrees and humid and I was just over it. I spent the rest of the day doing laundry and reading and I have no regrets about not seeing more of the city. I’m glad to be getting out of here tomorrow, especially since I’m going to visit one of my favorite high school friends- Allison! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love Bust Magazine (and you should, too)

Since I am finally done with Practicum I and only have one project left to finish for my Reading and Language Theory class, I decided to spend the evening relaxing with the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Bust . In this issue, I read about: Fat women on reality shows A new version of roller derby called Derby Lite A global O that will be occurring on December 21-22 Recipes for finger foods to serve at holiday parties How to make your own yarn Asheville, NC (now I want to move there even more...) Amy Poehler's views on feminism Divorce ranches in Nevada from the 1930's through the 1960's (it used to be really hard to get a divorce, and Nevada had laws that made it super easy) Homemade Christmas gift ideas A guide to "handling some of life's major milestones- marriage, childbirth, and death- with a DIY frame of mind" The monthly "One-handed read" column And of course, there are the fashion and beauty sections. Also, book, movie, and music revie

I got a little out of control...

I started my end of the year celebration a day early with margaritas at Lalo's. Unfortunately, since I don't drink very often, they affected me pretty quickly. I knocked my fork onto the sidewalk. Nancy (with her 80's hair) pretended not to know me. Nina gave me this look. Good times, good times. 40 more minutes of school, and then I am FREE!!!!!

Fall!

Okay, I’ll admit it.  I’m excited for fall.  I LOVE fall.  Things I’m looking forward to: Sweaters and hoodies Cinnamon candles  Leaves crunching under your feet Carving pumpkins and toasting the seeds (that I will give as gifts because I don’t actually like them) Going to the apple orchard with my mom… apple donuts and apple ciders slushees… Scary movies Watching my Charlie Brown DVDs Starting school!  I swear, September always flies by in an adrenaline-filled haze… The smell of burning leaves Football!!! Making apple pie (that will most likely be given as a gift because I’ll be dieting) Fall crafts (I think this year I want to attempt a wreath) Hot apple cider My one and only complaint about fall is that it means winter is coming…